Tuesday, 4 March 2008

Out of chaos comes.... chaos


Last night I grabbed some time to draw, and I decided to look at a retro yellow alarm clock that I bought from e-bay last year.
I started off by taping down some pastel paper to a board, making a square about 14" across. Then, with soft pastels, I worked in the colours. The paper was grey, and the shadows were grey, with harsh light reflecting on the glass cover of the clock. I didn't like the pastel strokes, so I smudged it all with my finger working in an anti-clockwise direction, which caused a lovely dark area between the minute and hour hand. I sprayed it with fixative, then painted over with inks - black Indian, canary yellow, and an opaque white. Then I stopped, as I wasn't getting anywhere fast.
Looking at it this morning I can see that the yellow needs to be much warmer, the shadows need to describe the shape of the clock and I want more detail on it. It looks mucky at the moment, but I don't want to scrap it. What to do next, I wonder? Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Melanie Rimmer said...

I like it a lot. Already it's more than just a study of a clock - it has an emotional quality. I think it's the mucky smudgy colours and quick confident strokes. It makes me think of times I've spent in dirty train station waiting rooms. It gives me a feeling of blended anticipation and ennui, and disgust at sitting amongst cigarette ends and the smell of pee.

Bill of Ballaugh said...

Mel:- All this from a picture on a screen? I'm afraid all I could conjure up was 'Hey, I like this!'

Yellow said...

Thanks for the comment about dirty train stations. You've given me an idea for what to do with it now.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Looks great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails