Thursday 29 March 2007

from pencil to print

Dad, soft pencil, June 1990
Dad, lino print 2005
Some years ago I sketched my dad, but used the side of a very soft pencil to work in tones, not lines, to build up the face and head. This is another piece I'm very proud of, and is framed on my bookcase.
I decided to translate it into a lino print (silly me- I didn't reverse it so the print faces the opposite way to the original drawing) cutting away the surface of the lino with strong diagonal strokes, emphasising the pencil technique I'd used.

3 comments:

Melanie Rimmer said...

I remember the original sketch of dad, and I like the print very much. How large is the print?

Anonymous said...

The print is about 4.5"x5" with a 3/4" boarder.

Anonymous said...

If you've still got the block, could you run off a copy for me, frame it as you see fit, and fetch it over next time you come? I'd love a copy for my study. (Vain or what?) No, I do like it very much.

Related Posts with Thumbnails