Friday 23 November 2007

stages 3 and 4 of 7


When running downhill very fast, if you stop to think, then you'll fall over. That was the sensation I had when I was painting this. I think I held my breath for those 2 hours.
I'd take a slug of water every so often, stepping back to judge where I was up to, then I'd launch back in, to make a change, or to move on down the canvas.
I could see that the clouds were lit from below and slightly from behind. This was a sky in the late afternoon, early winter, with only an hour of light left in the day. It rained later that evening.

To think, those clouds don't exist any more. It's not like painting a landscape, where the hills and trees will be there tomorrow, even though the light changes and the seasons advance. With skies, I don't know. But it's different. I know one thing can't me more unique than another unique thing. But skies are. Maybe I just need more coffee.

6 comments:

Jana Bouc said...

...and people think that painting is relaxing! Painting changing skies is as about as exciting as it gets! These look great!

Yellow said...

Thank you Jana. I've added you to my list of great sites. I don't know if the headache I had when I finished was from turps fumes, or clenching my jaw and shoulders, or just the adrenaline come-down. I get such a range of sensations when I'm painting/drawing. Sometimes it's blissful, sometimes it's urgent, and sometimes it's detatched, like time out of time, and I look at the finished work and I almost can't remember whet it felt like while I was doing it.

Melanie Rimmer said...

I'm getting the foreground/background thing again. I look at the photo and I look at the painting and I can see they both have the same shapes. But without the photo it looks to me like the blue shapes are foreground and the white/grey are background, like impressionistic dolphins on a frothy sea or something. I don't see three-dimensional clouds in a blue sky. How can you make the clouds come forward and the blue recede?

Yellow said...

Maybe it's because on a computer screen the white it illuminated. I understand what you're saying, but I can't see it myself at this stage.
Have a look tomorrow when there's no blamk canvas showing through, and maybe it'll work better then. let me know.

Yellow said...

... hang on, I see what you mean, there's is a subliminal dolphin in the bottom of stage 3. Don't worry, he gets painted out.
I take it you didn't see the profile of Elvis in the second one, then?
But seriously, I see what you're saying now, and that does get fixed- I'll show you how tomorrow.....

Anonymous said...

Oooooooh !

Related Posts with Thumbnails