Saturday 3 November 2007

Schiele landscapes

study from 'house with a shingle roof' Oct 07
At The Leopold Museum, Vienna, I also saw 'House With A Shingle Roof', an oil painting of a house in his mother's home town. I had no idea that Schiele had painted such strong landscapes. The tiles on the roof were a multitude of colours, but were unified by the graphic black outlines. Again, I stood there for an age peering at it. Then I started drawing it, working from the left hand side, and I started to realise what a complex composition it was.

The museum shop had a very good postcard, which I bought, but I've been unable to find a good picture on-line to put on the blog, so instead I've posted my study, partly done from the original painting, then using the postcard.

5 comments:

[<( - _ - )>] ® said...

hi!
i came casually here... nice blog... nice images...

greets from chile!

Melanie Rimmer said...

I love it when you copy other painters' works this way. As a non-painter I wouldn't have known there was anything to learn from doing that - like copying out another writer's novel. But you have made me realise that in fact there is a lot you can learn from copying someone else, which you can then take with you to your own original paintings and drawings. I also love the way the result doesn't look /exactly/ like the original, but it has a definite "flavour of you" to it.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Mel. Well said! She's always in there, isn't she ? Love what I see, as usual.

Yellow said...

Thank you for the encouragement. I'm starting to see a drawing style emerging myself. My work still seems quite disjointed, and I'm desperate for some painting time to squeeze into my otherwise full schedule.

Jane Walker said...

Wow - found you through Sarah at Muddy Red Shoes but when I hit on this I immediately thought STOPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!! Egon Schiele?? - he's my utter hero.. hey, Yellow Roker whatever your name is :))) ... well done - a very nice blog - I love it becuase you can draw and you care about drawing ..that's my thing too - for me it is the most important thing.. Yr lino cuts are good too - I'm a printer too so if you have the energy (I have two kids as well!!) you can find me on http://untitledbyjanewalker@blogspot.com Phew - i promise to take a look at the rest of yours soon - I am trying to rehang my studio before a scary visitor tomorrow .. nice to meet you! Jane (a northerner in exile)

Related Posts with Thumbnails