Sunday 2 September 2007

a morning's work


Thanks to a supportive hubby, I got a couple of hours working on the kitchen still life on Sunday morning. I've decided to loose all but the yellow book on the table. The white wall in the background needs to be duller, as does the brick fire surround, and I'm panicking about the tiled floor. But overall I really like it so far.

I've stopped myself adding highlights and details at this stage because I know it's all too wet at the moment. It took a lot of self control to slow down and work on one area at a time, but I've had to because I'm only just learning about colour mixing, and I can't yet grab colours confidently to add a touch here & there yet. But I feel like they are skills within my reach. All I need is time to paint.

I also finished reading 'The Yellow House' and I've ordered a book of Van Gogh's letters. I'd love to go to the Tate in London to see his Yellow Chair.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see why you like this. So do I. If it didn't make me look too greedy, I'd say "Can I have it when it's finished? Please? Pretty please?" I thik it would look just great hanging in my parlour and, boy, would I be strutting when I pointed it out to visitors as 'my daughter's work'!!!

Yellow said...

Thank you. I really want to get to grips with the floor before I start changing any of the other areas. I'd be delighted for it to hang in your house.

Susie said...

I LOVE watching your work go from a photograph to a sketch to a drawing and onto a painting. Thanks for sharing all of the steps!

Lisa said...

Wow! I miss stopping by for a few days and look what happens! I am really loving the work in progress and thanks for showing the various stages. This is coming along beautifully.

Related Posts with Thumbnails