Wednesday 8 July 2009

Having fun

Okay, it may not look like I'm enjoying myself but I am. I only went into the studio to get some graphite pencils, caught sight of myself in one of the many mirrors in there, and I just had to stop and draw. Nor perfect, but I caught the moment. I had to squint with one eye closed to see myself clearly as I was stood some way from the mirror. Rembrandt, maybe? I mean the lighting, not the execution, of course.

My sister Mel and I were discussing art the other day and, amongst conceptual art, Hurst, acrylic techniques, still lifes and cats, we chatted about self portraits. So funny that in my first week back, so to speak, I end up doing one. Though if you know my work, they're a pet subject of mine. Always a ready sitter, willing to stay still, and always needs a loo break or a coffee at the same time as I do. How more convenient can you get?

I have done some art every day so far this week , as agreed, and have even taken some photos. Gasp! Dare I mention the glimmer of a possible series in the hatching? tableBest not for now. But thanks, Mel, for the kick up the bum, just when I was ready for one.
I have a busy week ahead, what with work projects, family events and what not, but I know I can fit in some drawing time, and I'm feeling better for it.






1 comment:

Melanie Rimmer said...

I love the self portrait. I can't put my finger on how, but I can really see "through" it to you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails