Thursday 19 June 2008

Castellian Island

We returned from the most surprising holiday I've ever been on - surprising because I didn't expect it to be so beautiful or inspiring. Our hotel room was literally a stone's throw from the Mediterranean, and this watercolour is the view from our ground floor balcony. The earth was an amazing red terracotta, crumbling in low clay cliffs into the soft tides. The sea itself was banded with blues, greens and blacks. All the flora and forna was alien.
Unfortunately on the fourth day there I lost the A5 sketchbook I'd taken. It wasn't stolen, I just left it somewhere and never recovered it, along with a 3B pencil and a small shoulder bag. I bought a new one while I was there. I'm glad I'd vowed not to take Vivien's Moley she sent me from the Moleskine Exchange, or I'd have thrown myself into the sea.
I spent most of my time with my family, but managed to sneak a couple of hours every other day for drawing olive trees, and photograph some scenes. So there'll be more images to come, I promise.

2 comments:

Casey Klahn said...

Very nice, Steph. Highly abstracted, and keen use of two colors.

Yellow said...

Thanks. I did an awful watercolout first which I'm ashamed to post, so I pared this one down to the bare bones. It's another of those things I think has legs. I hate having such limited time to explore things. Someone once said that when we complain about lack of time, it's a cop out, because we hav the same number of hours in a day as Da Vinci etc. Bugger that! Da Vinci didn't have kids, and a day job, and a husband, and a house to clean. He has a workshop, a cook and servants to do all that for him.

Related Posts with Thumbnails