Saturday, 30 June 2007
This afternoon I spent an amazing two hours in my studio, with a pieve of plywood about 3 feet tall, which I'd already primed, painting this standing nude.
I decided only to depict the right side of it, and I looked up mixing flesh tones in the colour book I'd been given for my birthday, and used the red and blue to mix the background, and from that, move into the flesh tone mix for the lightest areas.
Towards the end I used my fingers to smooth the skin areas, and I looked at the painting in a mirror a few times to check what I'd done.
Again, I'm amazed at how much I enjoyed the whole process, even the slow squaring up at the beguinning in charcoal. I'm now happy with the skin tones, and I want to look more at my next model to gaugue the colours on the shadows, instead of making them up.
I'm very happy with the head, right arm and left leg. I'm still rubbish at feet, because I'm avoiding them.