Saturday 31 May 2008

Self Potrait Eureka

Okay, background and colour. Gone is the brown shaggy jumper. In it's place is a pleasing v-necked top in a didtsy neutral grey-brown. The shape is flattering. But I would never ever paint whilst wearing this outfit. I paint wearing old t-shirts, which will result in my looking shapeless again. My lines and curves, while not of Vogue proportions, are pleasing to me. I don't want this self portrait to consist of my head on top of a cardboard box, as it were. Period painter's garb? No, there's no statement I want to make there. Something outlandish? Nope. Too distracting. Hmmmm, I have an idea.

Next, background. My studio is dark and dismal, and I'm fed up of dark backgrounds. I don't feel up to painting me in-situ, because I think I won't be able to carry it off, and all my art paraphenalia in the studio will be a distraction to the viewer. I never wanted to paint a picture of my studio, I wanted to paint me, as an artist, painting.

How about an abstract background, as per Van Gogh andhis Japanese-print backdrops? A vivid yellow background is attractive at this point. Me, in neutral garb on a yellow background. but why yellow. because I can't bloddy think of of anything else. Give me a break.

Mutter, mumble, toss and turn. Backgrounds...... Attire.......

So I scan though my mental library of portraits I like, and it hits me. Egon Scheille! He comes to me in my dreams, you know, and he looks down at me from my living room wall. Remember, it's now 2.43am on Wednesday night/Thursday morning as I write this. Me, naked, on a neutral background. Egon painted himself on a chalky-white background. If I use the same idea, then I'm creating a blank canvas, which every artist starts off with, and, on it, I am the focus. This also resolves the attire issue. I am now naked, painting myself, peering in the mirror at myself, as I have done almost daily for most of my adult life. Now, I see that painting myself naked has in fact been a recurring theme since I picked up the pencil just over a year ago, so it is fitting for a self portrait at this time. You may now wish to cease following this blog fora while f you don't want to see me in the buff. You have been warned. I have no intention of following the path some other female artists have followed, you'll be glad to hear, as that's just not my bag, baby! Me, naked, is simple, honest. It eliminates fashion, and as such will free me from the chains of the 21st century. Who am I kidding, as an artists work will always be a reflection to some extent of their times and influences. The very fact that I won't be burnt at the stake for even discussing this, is a sign of our times. Again, you know what I mean anyway.

This is all word, now I need more sketches to check out the stance whilst naked, and the composition of easel and possibly another vertical. Now, can I please go to bed?

4 comments:

Gesa said...

Hey... sorry, quietness's nothing to do with nakes steph at easel painting naked steph... just been swamped with other bits...
The time of night makes some enjoyable stream of consciousness reading, so no worries and i'll hope you'll get out of it what you're after. Schiele is a great inspiration for this, I do agree...

Yellow said...

Yeah, although I do find the wee small hours to be typical of the whitching hour, when I'm plagued with doubts and worries that evaporate when the sun comes up, I also find that my mind can run off at a tangent without distraction. That was part of the reason for typing these posts, to get the idea recorded before I lost them.

Chris Bolmeier said...

Paint on, go for it, your sincereity is your strong suit while standing in your birth suit.

Follow Your Heart said...

Good reading your post

Related Posts with Thumbnails