Sunday 16 November 2008

Preparation, and then something odd

Do you ever have days when you want to spend the day making art, but just can't nail anything concrete down? This was that kind of day. So I dampened some paper in readiness for lino printing and, in the mean time, made some rubbings in oil pastel of the lino block I'd cut of Penshaw Monument. I messed around with different coloured pastels, and then tried rubbing the sky block, and then the monument block over that. With questionable success. Never mind; they'll make useful starting points for the collages I want to do.



Then, I started scribbling a skyscape on cartridge paper, which then took off and became this mad view of Penshaw Monument. There's not enough contrast for me to be totally happy with it, but I like the layering and inter-mingling of colours and lines. Again, maybe I'll rip it up and turn it into something else.





5 comments:

Melanie Rimmer said...

I like the new look for your blog, very nice

Anonymous said...

Idon't know what it is, but I think you've achieved something very interesting here. The only bit that jars, or that I don't understand, is the sienna wash mid-right hand side.

Gesa said...

Hm... I really like the sky scribbling... I wondered if you could get to something like that with an inked up plate and some monotype markmaking: I used tin foil to take of some ink; or scratch marks with knife, fork or similar...
The monument will work very well in lino - such clear lines. I am curious to see what you'll do with the background!

Yellow said...

The yellowish bit was meant to be part of a streaked sky, but u agree it dosn't sit well. I simplified the blog because I wanted to show my work along the top.
Gesa, while I was digging out the lino stuff I came across a pane of glass left over from a picture frame and I was thinking about mono printing but I have no idea where to start.

Gesa said...

ink up the plate with your ink. take something, anything, and use it to mark the inked surface: scratch, smear, smudge, lift, add... then pull a print. rarely any rules... playtime... I'm sure you'll like it ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails