Friday 19 September 2008

Penshaw Pillars

Pillar 8B graphite The pillars of Penshaw Monument are made of sandstone, which, it is rumoured, were taken from a nearby Roman dam. The whole monument is coated in coal dust which has accumulated over the years since it was erected in 1844.
I have taken on a challenge of working on it for 6 months, so we'll see where I end up around February 2009. As I post images I'll include some of it's history along the way.
I spent yesterday morning there making sketches and paintings and taking photos.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

when will you go online?

Anonymous said...

yeah! its much better,

Melanie Rimmer said...

Damn spammers! I'm looking forward to seeing your drawings of the monument, Steph.

Yellow said...

Spam is funny, it makes me think of those half-heard conversations that don't make sense because they're just snippits. I know they confuse the heck out of Dad, who still reads them as actual people making rude comments. Maybe I'll get around to adding that 'letter verification' thingy to stop the spam.

Related Posts with Thumbnails