Then I sqaured up the canvas in 3 inch squares with charcoal over the burnt sienna oil paint I'd washed on previously and sketched in the outlines. Next, I used a mix of burnt sienna and blue (possibly ultramarine, only it's dark in there) to block in the darks, and used a turpsy rag to wipe off for the light areas. I'm very happy with this so far, especially the balance of the pale area of my face top right against the table top bottom left.
Friday, 8 February 2008
Proportions and underpainting
When it came to transferring my idea to canvas I didn't want to make any early mistakes by painting my head too big, or my bum too big for that matter, so my cousin took some photos of me which I reversed (because I'll be painting what I see in the mirror in my studio, remember) and then printed out and squared up in inch squares, making sure I was working to the same proportions as the canvas.