Tuesday, 3 April 2007

Not quite satisfied

Don't get me wrong - I like to charcoal drawing I did of my daughter. It's just that when I was exploring colours with the oil pastel landscapes I felt like I was making progress, that I was learning something. The charcoal drawings were just putting into practice skills and knowledge I already have.
So what was I learning while doing the landscapes? Well, I was making decisions about composition, and how to use the colour to create a sense of distance and mood.
When I look at Lucian Freud's figures, I feel like he's really getting to grips with his subject. I'm happier with my earlier loose sketches of the children.

What subjects do I paint, and what is it about them that I want to convey? And how do I go about conveying it? How do I manage not to over-think and get stressed about my art. i want to keep the newly found joy I have currently in creating, and not to be afraid of the final product before I even begin.

3 comments:

Bill of Ballaugh said...

How many times have you told me to just go for it, to get stuck in? I think you are over analysing, as you said. Go for it, girl!!!

Bill of Ballaugh said...

How many times have you told me to just go for it, to get stuck in? I think you are over analysing, as you said. Go for it, girl!!!

Melanie Rimmer said...

I agree with you, Steph. There's nothing wrong with practicing the skills you already have, but it's not the same as developing new skills. You said you worked from photos - were they colour photos? Could you try a colour drawing of the same subject?

I'm also interested in the subjects you draw and paint. You seem to choose the subjects which are convenient. I can see the reasoning behind that. But I wonder, in an ideal world where any subject was equally convenient, what would you choose to draw? What are the subjects that move you?

Related Posts with Thumbnails